MAC Address generally called as Multimedia Access Control, and you should change your MAC Address before to do any hacking activity through Kali Linux so that no one can trace you actually back.
Before to change or assign a new MAC Address to any interface, make sure that you must down that interface and then run the command for changing the MAC Address.
1. Linux terminal
Step by step How to Change MAC Address on Kali Linux:
1. Open your terminal, and type
ifconfig | grep HWaddr
2. To temporary change our MAC address, we need to turn off the network interface first by running this command
ifconfig eth0 down
3. After that we can configure the new MAC address
ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:00:00:00:00:02
you can change the MAC address using this hexadecimal format XX:XX:XX:XX:XX: XX
4. Now we can turn on the network interface again.
ifconfig eth0 up
5. And the last we can check again our MAC whether it’s change or not.
if we follow until this step, the MAC address will back to default after we restart our machine. Go to the next page to view how to change the MAC address permanently.
6. Kali Linux was built based on Debian. In Debian, all the network interface was located on
7. We will configure the /etc/network/interfaces. In this tutorial, I will use pico text editor, but you can choose any of your favorite text editors.
8. Now we will add one line of script to change our MAC address permanently
pre-up ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:00:00:00:00:02
This script will be called on system startup.
9. If we want to restore the default MAC address, just add the # sign in front of a script in step 8.
#pre-up ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:00:00:00:00:02